Monday, August 1, 2011

Panorama of Kansas City



I have spent the summer painting a panorama from my window of Kansas City looking north from Crown Center. The skyline has new additions since we came to Crown Center in 1990. Sprint Arena, the Performing Arts Center, and renovated Union Station have changed the skyline since I first began to paint the cityscapes. It was a struggle. the Westin hotel blocked my view, so I went to Bentons on top of the Weston, took photos, glued them together, but there were still problems. The photos didn’t accurately record my view (the space was wrong; cameras tend to flatten ground). So I sat at my window and did a drawing. I used the drawing, graphing it to scale on my linen panel and using the photos as additional reference. I don’t yet have a title, but I wanted to record the beauty of our city at twilight. The panorama extends from the Western Auto building to I-35. It was difficult to resolve the relationship of the buildings in size. I think it is accurate as I used the traditional technique of measuring width plus height with a pencil. Perhaps in the future I will do another, but later in the evening with a brilliant blue sky.






No comments:

Post a Comment